By Stephen Darwell
Consequentialism collects, for the 1st time, either the most classical assets and the vital modern expressions of this crucial place. Edited and brought via Stephen Darwall, those readings are crucial for someone attracted to normative ethics.
- Edited and brought by way of Stephen Darwall, examines key issues within the consequentialist department of ethical theory.
- Includes seven essays which reply to the vintage sources.
- Includes an insightful dialogue of important subject matters in consequentialism through John Rawls and Amartya Sen.
- Includes vintage articles by means of key figures such Jeremy Bentham, John Stuart Mill, Henry Sidgwick and G. E. Moore; and up to date reactions to this paintings via philosophers together with Philip Pettit, Derek Parfit, Samuel Scheffler, Peter Railton, R. B. Brandt, J. C. Harsanyi, and Robert Adams.
Read Online or Download Consequentialism (Wiley Blackwell Readings in Philosophy) PDF
Similar ethics & morality books
There's a classical version of rational motion that has ruled Western highbrow tradition and, not less than again to Aristotle, in response to which deliberation is often approximately potential and not approximately ends. Its common extension is mirrored in either Hume's declare that "Reason is and should be a slave of the passions", as within the appreciation of Kant that "Whoever desires the tip wishes the ability.
Robert L. Humphrey used to be an Iwo Jima veteran, Harvard graduate, and pass cultural clash solution expert throughout the chilly battle. He proposed the "Dual existence worth concept" of Human Nature. From the studies of formative years within the nice melancholy, journeys as within the Panamanian service provider Marines, national-class boxing, the awe-inspiring attractions of selfless sacrifice on Iwo Jima, and eventually, fifteen years in in a foreign country ideological battle, Humphrey saw that common values exist and, finally keep watch over human habit.
Whilst many of us are enthusiastic about an task, it's always tough, if now not very unlikely, to pinpoint who's morally answerable for what, a phenomenon often called the ‘problem of many fingers. ’ This time period is more and more used to explain issues of attributing person accountability in collective settings in such various parts as public management, company administration, legislations and legislation, technological improvement and innovation, healthcare, and finance.
Plant-based and cell-cultured meat, milk, and egg manufacturers objective to exchange commercial nutrients creation with animal-free fare that tastes larger, charges much less, and calls for a fragment of the power inputs. those items aren't any longer relegated to area of interest markets for moral vegetarians, yet are seriously funded via deepest traders making a bet on meat with no animals as mass-market, environmentally possible choices that may be scaled for a starting to be worldwide inhabitants.
- Subsidiarität als Sozialprinzip: Grundaussagen und Anwendungsbereiche (German Edition)
- Untersuchung über die Prinzipien der Moral (Philosophische Bibliothek 511) (German Edition)
- Biopolitik grenzenlos: Stimmen aus Polen (Beiträge zur gesellschaftswissenschaftlichen Forschung) (German Edition)
- The Many and the One: Religious and Secular Perspectives on Ethical Pluralism in the Modern World (Ethikon Series in Comparative Ethics)
- Constructivism in Ethics
Extra resources for Consequentialism (Wiley Blackwell Readings in Philosophy)